5.10.2009

Lighting instruments from another world.

I've been working on a book about lighting equipment and, after talking to many photographers, I am convinced that many are unaware there is a rich selection of alternatives out there to the usual battery-powered camera flashes, the monoblock electronic flashes and the various "pack and head" electronic flash systems.  The photograph on the right is of a Mole Richardson 10K fixture.  This thing puts out 10,000 watts of tungsten balanced light!  It's really amazing. Even more amazing are the 20K HMI lights.  That's 20,000 watts of daylight balanced light from one fixture.  

I bring this up because I think some photographers would really like to pursue a vision that's not based on using the same lights everyone else uses.  I was inspired to seek out these alternative light sources in part because of the work of Gregory Crewdson.  He does interesting fine art photos and relies almost exclusively on big movie lights for his work.  It seems to impart an entirely different feel to the work.

The same photographers who've sent me hate mail about my articles praising "radical" things like film and medium format cameras will no doubt rush to tell us that they can duplicate any lighting look with their White Lightning electronic flash gear or their $10,000 Broncolor gear but they will, as usual, miss the point.  And that point is this:  The tools and their attributes have profound influence in the creative process.  The feel of the camera, the heat and throw of a light.  The size of the fresnel in front of a light source.  It all influences our creative choices.  It influences the way a shoot flows.  And it definitely affects the outcome.

So, I found myself at an Austin shop called, GEAR.  They serve the movie industry, the television industry and a number of still photographers by renting everything from the stands and scrims to the enormous lights and the  trucks to haul them around in.  They have HMI lights (continuous daylight balanced instruments) ranging from 400 watts to 20,000 watts. They have all the most popular sizes of fresnel and open faced tungsten lights and they have stacks and stack of KinoFlo professional florescent lights.  

They have electrical generators you can put in the trunk of a Prius and also generators that come on the back of a really big truck.  And they have rolls of just about every filter gel you can possibly imagine.

I asked them for some pointers to pass along to still photographers who haven't worked on movie or television sets.  Any pitfall that might be avoided with a little forewarning.  Here is their short list:

1.  Lights over 1,000 will need their own electrical circuits.  Run a 2K tungsten on the same household circuit as the computer and you are asking for problems.

2.  Lights over 2,000 will require the services of an electrician to do something magical called a "tie-in" at the breaker box.  Alternately, you can rent a generator rated to handle the power requirements of these lights.

3.  Hot lights are hot.  You'll either need padded gloves to handle the fixtures or lots and lots of time to let them cool down before trying to move them.

4.  As above, the bigger lights put out an enormous amount of heat so don't plan on using your regular softboxes or umbrellas with them.  You'll need specially constructed softboxes or umbrellas that handle high temperatures.  Melting softboxes don't inspire confidence.....

5.  When you use a 12 foot by 12 foot silk scrim outside you need to understand that's about the same square footage as the sails that move boats across water at 20 knots or so.  You'll need more than a couple of 20 pound sandbags to anchor them!  Ask for guidance when you rent.

6.  HMI's have safety filters so that your don't tan or burn when using them.  Don't defeat the safety features!  You don't want a model suing you for the impromptu tanning booth episode.

7.  HMI's are expensive.  The bulbs start around $400.  Make sure your assistants know the score and make sure every light is secure.

Those are the big points that the rental guys deal with on an almost daily basis.  Even so you can get some really unique looks with some of these lights and the rentals on traditional tungsten lights are  reasonable.  Well worth trying out the next time you want to do something different.

I really enjoyed what I saw from the KinoFlo's.  There's something cool (literally and figuratively) about florescent lighting.  I'm pretty interested in how those differences might manifest themselves when shooting a portrait so when I saw an interesting fixture at Precision Camera I just had to get one.

Interfit makes cheap flashes and decent flashes and a bunch of other lighting stuff.  Just recently they came out with a light called the Cool Lite 9.  It's a fixture that takes nine compact florescent bulbs, comes with a large metal reflector and a heat resistant softbox attachment. All for $279. So far it's a lot of fun.  I need to be reminded from time to time how much fun it is to shoot with WYSIWYG continous lighting.

As you know if you've read much of my stuff I'm a real sucker for wide open apertures and short telephoto lenses.  They seem to converge to make magical portraits.  The Cool Lite 9 gives me enough light to keep the camera steady (1/125th or 1/250th of a second) at reasonable ISO's (200-400).  I'm working on a new series of portraits with this light.

I'm also shooting lots of examples for the book.  Should be interesting.  I keep learning about neat new stuff and relearning techniques that are mostly lost these days.  Hope the week ahead is profitable and fun.  Try some movie lighting if you get a chance.  But be sure to get the gloves........

Kirk



10 comments:

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Just got back in the house. We were out eating burgers for mother's day. When I walked in I looked at the end of our kitchen table. It's where all the stuff like the day's mail and my cameras end up when I come in to the house. Just thought it was interesting to see what cameras were living there right now. We have a Canon Powershot SX 10, A Pentax 1DST with the little 18-55mm zoom on it, a Fuji S5 with the 35 1.8 Nikon DX lens and an Olympus E-1 with the 35 macro. Just thought it was an odd assortment of cameras.

Anonymous said...

So much for energy efficency. I would expect photographers using this type of light to also be using ortho B & W film for that "old Hollywood" look.

As a side note I have not been able to find your books at any of the West side Borders or Barnes and Nobles in Houston. Guess I will have to order.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

If you want energy efficiency I'd be looking at all the cool florescent tech coming on to the market. It's really fun stuff. I'm assuming we'll wait for LED's for the spotlights....

I don't know what to think about the local booksellers not carrying the books. I try to order from the independents but they keep disappearing.

Thanks for reading! Kirk

Anonymous said...

What is the color temperature of the cool floresent lamps you are using? What type of filtration is needed to get it to "daylite".

By the way I am an electrical engineer and find lighting to be interesting from both the artistic and technical side. When I first read the article I wondered if you would need a permit from the EPA to turn on the lights. LOL

pitchertaker said...

At our little fledging photo dept, we were given any number of Mole-Richardson lights from 4K wt to some Tota-lights, and four big ol' MR 4K wt soft lights. Students love'm. And I've got to admit I love using them, also. But my question is: I know most of the Austin photographers from Rick Patrick to Ave Bonar to Mike Murphy and Steve Clark, but I've never met you. I taught at UTAustin, J-dept, in the late 60's and early 70's -- the era of Lee and Winogrand. And I'm back in town at least once a year visitin' and drinkin' with the photo folks, but never even heard your name. Are you sure yor're in Austin?Happy to see you posting.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

HI Pitchtaker, You might want to ask Ave, MIke, Steve and Rick. I was a teaching assistant at UT for Tomas Pantin, Reagan Bradshaw and Charlie Guerrero in the fine arts college at UT in the late 70's and early 80's and then did a teaching stint in the department when those guys bowed out. I was recently the president of the Austin ASMP chapter. And I've been shooting here since 1987 commercially. I never stepped foot in the photo-J dept. I'm pretty sure I'm in Austin or I'm paying a lot of city taxes for nothing?

Thanks for the note. Kirk

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered why there aren't lens instruments for strobes. It would be fun to gut a 2k and replace the incandescent fixture with a strobe.

144 square feet of sail gets you 20kts on a sailboat? Not mine. Maybe a windsurfer in SF Bay or something like a 49er or other state of the art tech boat. That said, you ought to head out to AYC on Lake Travis for a sail. I think you'd like the sport.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Dear Sailing Poster. First of all, thanks for posting! In fact, Profoto makes several optical attachments with focusable fresnels for their strobe heads. I think Calumet used to make one as well. Don't go gutting that 2k just yet. On second thought, given Profoto prices it may be more economical to do the 2k. Bad math on the sailboat? Sorry. I'm not much of a sailor.

Nakia Photos said...

I just checked out the Interfit-9 and I added it to my wish list on B&H. It will be ordered soon.

The WYSIWYG photography is the I like film. Folks think digital is WYSIWYG, But I think film is more of a WYSIWYG once you understand the negative of choice. The negative has the characteristics you are looking for no need to endless processing. It is a hard thing to explain, but film is a much easier overall process than digital.

Also WYSIWYG set-up is real good for getting comfortable with the subject. It promote confidence.

Ken said...

I've been picking up Mole's off ebay for a song. I have 2 2k's and 3 1k's. I bought them all for under $700 total. A few 10k's would be really nice to have, especially since I don't pay the electric bill!