11.01.2011

"The Meaning of Life is to Make Life Meaningful." A.C. Grayling

This is Tulip.  She's my dog.  I'm her human.  We do things for each other and it makes both of our lives richer.

If you think about life in a pessimistic way you find yourself wondering, "Why are we born just to suffer and die."  If you think about life in an optimistic way you find yourself saying, "What's my next challenge?  How can I make this fun? What can I do to make life better and more meaningful for those around me?"  I know lots of people who live in the first camp and I'm amazed.  I know only a handful of people who live, fully, in the second camp and I'm amazed.

Our lives are like rockets.  They are self-propelled and when loaded with fuel they can leap into space.  When they run out of fuel they plunge to the earth.  The love of life and the pursuit of real meaning in life seems to be the fuel. Our problem, as modern humans, is not the final plunge back to earth but the failure to launch which consigns us to stay on the pad until our rockets rust away and are moved off into the scrap heap of eternity.

No one gets out of this alive but......possessed of an incredibly cool rocket doesn't it make a lot more sense to soar through the stratosphere and attempt to escape gravity than to wait back on the ground until all the fuel leaks out and the tubes and circuits of our space ships are rendered unusable?  We are fortunate.  We get to create our own meaning in our own lives.  We just have to have the courage to launch.  We have to be fearless.  And the opposite of fear?.......is love.

I saw a fun bumper sticker,  it had a picture of a dog.  It said, "Wag more, bark less."

How does this relate to photography?  How about this:  "Shoot with your heart, not with your brain."

14 comments:

andrewt said...

Great post. I like the failure to launch metaphor.

That's one thing my kids have taught me... go do stuff and enjoy it.

ykarious said...

This is one of the lessons I keep struggling to learn and implement, thanks for the reminder.

I really like the metaphor, and agree completely that love is the solution to fear.

seany said...

Depends very much on what launching pad you've ended on,I can think of some pretty awful third world ones,or severely disadvantaged first world situations??

Jim said...

You need to add a Reactions check box for "Inspiring". Great post Kirk. Good looking dog too.

Christian said...

Reminds me of this:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

I couldn't say it better. :)

Anonymous said...

The texture on the fur is outstanding, I can't stop staring. Each lock is so defined. I wonder why.

Richard said...

Good timing on your post. I use to spend the majority of my time in the second camp. I did not realize that until a lady made a comment that my daughter and I were always positive and looking on the bright side of any situation. The past month, I have come to realize that I am no longer optimistic. I took 8 days off from work and traveled with my wife to Virginia to enjoy the Blue Ridge Mountains and to reflect. BTW great looking dog. I feel the same way about our dog.

The Metzgers said...

....the courage to launch....I'm trying to figure that one out still but I'm confident that with practice I will....and with practice I'll hopefully spend some more time in the second camp...thanks for the encouragement

atmtx said...

Great words to live by and inspiring article.

I've been thinking about the passing of Steve Jobs a lot lately. He died so young at age 56 but oh how high his rocket did soar.

Anonymous said...

I love the metaphor of the launch, I just wish I could dig up some more intestinal fortitude to do so.

Colsteel said...

Hey Kirk, thanks for this...really made an impact on me.

David said...

I really like this article. The push to make us look into our selves to see how we are driven. Then to reflect and change if needed.

Keep your brain, but don't forget to speak from the heart.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, inspiring article. Thank you Kirk.

Michael

Richard Alan Fox said...

Forward motion with lift.